Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments Series

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
4 Stars ****

I've just finished reading City of Bones, the first novel in Cassandra Clare's YA Mortal Instruments series.   I admit that I'm not a big fan of urban fantasy novels, especially those that feature vampires, werewolves and/or demons, but I picked this book up on the recommendation of a friend and am very glad I did so.  Set in present day New York City, City of Bones introduces us to Clary Fray, a seemingly normal teenage girl whose life gets turned upside down when she witnesses a murder in NYC club.   Clary is soon thrown into the world of the Shadowhunters, a group whose purpose is to destroy demons and whose existence is unknown to mundanes (aka everyday people).    Clare has introduced both a memorable set of characters and an entertaining storyline, one that has left me wanting more.   So, what did I do when I was close to finishing this novel?   I went ahead and immediately ordered the next two books in the series, of course!  

Not only has the novel left me wanting to read the rest of the series, it also has me wondering what I had against urban fantasy in the first place.   Does anyone else enjoy urban fantasy?  If so, what do you recommend?