Books I Just Had to Buy...But Are Still Sitting on My Shelf
This list wasn't difficult for me to put together, since my huge to be read pile is a testament to the fact that I buy books much faster than I can possibly read them :-)
(1) The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I love the fantasy genre and this novel gets great reviews. While this book has been sitting on my shelf since shortly after its release in 2007, I still haven't read it.
(2) Cathedral of the Sea by Ildefonso Falcones. Billed as a Pillars of the Earth-type work of historical fiction, I had to have this one simply because Pillars is one of my favourite novels.
(3) Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simmonson. I bought this one immediately after its 2010 release, telling my shelf I'd read immediately. Obviously, I didn't.
(4) War & Peace by Leo Tolstoy (Richard Peaver/Larissa Volokhonsky translation). This is one of those books I've always wanted to read but continue to avoid. I received a copy of the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation for Christmas a few years back and convinced myself it was time to give it a go. It's still waiting on my shelf....
(5) Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle. I bought all three books in Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle upon each of their releases. The three novels that make up this series have to be among the oldest on my to be read pile. I have no idea when I'll get to them...but get to them I will.
(6) The Passage by Justin Cronin. When this book was first released I wasn't sure that it would interest me, but after reading positive reviews from trusted reading friends I decided I just had to try it for myself. That was last year and I still haven't read it.
(9) Divergent by Veronica Roth. This book is recommended to fans of The Hunger Games trilogy. As soon as I read this I knew I had to have this book. I do plan to read it this year.