Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Book Talk: Do You Re-Read Books?

It's time for Book Talk, a Confessions of an Avid Reader weekly feature that offers a forum in which to discuss book-related issues and topics.  This week's topic: Re-Reading.

I don't know about any of you, but I'm not much of a re-reader.   There are just too many books out there waiting for me to read for the first time for me to spend time re-reading old favourites.  There are a few exceptions to this rule, however.  I've re-read the entire Harry Potter series multiple times, and have re-read Jane Austen's Persuasion, Emma and Northanger Abbey more than once (I'll be re-reading Pride & Prejudice for the first time this year).   I've also re-read George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series and Kristen Britain's Green Rider series, and will likely do so again prior to the release of the next books in both series.  My favourite genre is historical fiction, yet the only work within the genre I've re-read is Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall.  But that's it.  These are the only books/series I have ever re-read.   There are a few books on my shelf I would like to re-read - The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman comes immediately to mind - but I just never seem to do so. 

Do you re-read books?  If so, what books do you re-read and why do you re-read them?  Do you have any favourites that you revisit time and again?