Sunday, January 23, 2011

Random Reading Thoughts...

I just finished re-reading Kristen Britain's The High King's Tomb, the third novel in the Green Rider fantasy series, which is one of my all-time favourites.   Now I'm all ready for the release - on 1 February - of book 4,  Blackveil.  I have to tell you, I haven't been this excited for the release of a novel since Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out back in 2007!  I'm not sure what it is about the series that has made me so crazy about it, but I think it has something to do with the fact that Britain has created a great heroine in Karigan G'ladheon, and the supporting cast of characters are simply wonderful.  Britain has pulled me into her tale by making me truly care about the people she has written about. 

While I wait for Blackveil to arrive on my Kindle I'm re-reading my favourite novel, Jane Austen's Persuasion, and starting on Baroness Orczy's The Scarlett Pimpernel.   I've heard The Scarlett Pimpernel is great fun! 

On a completely unrelated note, do any of you have an e-reader?  I got a Kindle a couple of months before Christmas, and just love it.   I have to admit, however, that until recently I've been quite reluctant to actually buy books for it unless I consider them to be a good deal.     Something changed last week, however, and I spent quite a bit of time perusing the Amazon Kindle Store.  The result was that I downloaded quite a few novels.  In addition to pre-ordering Blackveil, I also picked up Katherine Stockett's The Help, Tatiana de Rosnay's Sarah's Key and Abraham Verghese's Cutting for Stone, all of which fall within the historical fiction genre, as well as Incarceron by Catherine Fisher, a YA fantasy novel, and P.C. Cast's Divine by Mistake, which is also a fantasy novel - although it may be romantic fantasy, I'm not sure.    We'll see if my high rate of Kindle purchasing keeps up.   I'm due to read Susanna Clarke's Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell during February, which I already own but am considering buying for my Kindle anyway.  I hate buying the e-version of a book if it is already sitting on my shelves, but the copy I own is a massive trade paperback that I don't really feel like lugging around...

Anyway, that's all for now.   I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

Happy Reading :-)