Monday, April 23, 2012

Top Ten Tuesdays - Top 10 Favourite Characters

It's time for Top Ten Tuesdays, a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish that features a different book/reading theme each week.   This week's list:

Top 10 All-Time Favourite Characters in Books

This was a little difficult for me as my initial list left me with more than 10 favourites.   Nevertheless, I've whittled it down to the following 10 characters (in no particular order):

(1) Anne Shirley and (2) Gilbert Blythe from the Anne of Green Gables series by Lucy Maud Montgomery.  I can read (and watch) the interactions between Anne and Gilbert over and over and over again.   I love them!





(3) Anne Elliot and (4) Captain Frederick Wentworth from Jane Austen's Persuasion.  Many Austen fans cite Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy as their favourite Austen characters.  Not me, I much prefer Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth. 








(5) Jon Snow from George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series.  There are lots of great characters in Martin's epic A Song of Ice and Fire trilogy, but Jon Snow has been my favourite right from the start. 

(6) Tyrion Lannister from George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series.  I wasn't immediately a fan of Tyrion Lannister's character.    I liked his plotting and intelligence, but it took me a book or two before I realized I actually liked him. 

(7) Karigan G'ladheon from Kristen Britain's Green Rider series.   Karigan is everything a heroine should be - she's smart, feisty and can kick some serious butt! 

(8) Hermione Granger from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series.   It is hard for me to pick just one favourite character from the HP series, but Hermione's intelligence, independence and calm under pressure make her stand out from the rest.







(9) Captain Jack Aubrey and (10) Dr. Stephen Maturin from Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels.   I love O'Brian's nautical tales set during the Napoleonic wars.  English Royal Navy officer Captain Jack Aubrey and his friend, ship's doctor and intelligence agent Stephen Maturin,  are the highlight of each book.





What fictional characters are on your top ten list?