Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My Most Anticipated 2011 New Releases

I think 2011 is going to be a great year for new releases.   Here are those that I'm most eagerly anticipating (unless otherwise noted, the release dates are for North America):

HISTORICAL FICTION

The Queen of Last Hopes by Susan Higginbotham.   I loved Higginbotham's The Traitor's Wife, and am going to aim to read the rest of Higginbotham's works in 2011.   The Queen of Last Hopes is about Margaret of Anjou and the English Wars of the Roses. 

Release Date: 1 January 2011... I already have my copy pre-ordered :-)





I, Elizabeth by Margaret George.   While I don't generally greatly enjoy novels featuring Elizabeth I as a primary character, I do love Margaret George so I'm looking forward to reading her latest.

Release Date: 5 April 2011







The Gallows Curse by Karen Maitland.    I loved Maitland's The Company of Liars, and The Owl Killers is on my 2011 to read list.   I'm definitely looking forward to her next book, which is set during the early 13th century during the reign of King John.

Release Date: 3 March 2011 (UK only.  There doesn't appear to be a North American release date yet)





Daughters of Rome by Kate Quinn.   I was very impressed with Quinn's debut novel,  Mistress of Rome.    Daughters of Rome takes place in AD 69 - the Year of Four Emperors - and is centred around two sisters whose fortunes and fates are influenced by the political upheavals of Rome. 

Release Date: 5 April 2011





Lady of the English by Elizabeth Chadwick.   I have yet to read an Elizabeth Chadwick novel I haven't liked.   This particular novel is about Empress Matilda, daughter and heir of Henry I who fought Stephen of Blois for England's Crown in the 12th century, and Adeliza, widow of England's King Henry I. 

Release date: 2 June 2011 (UK),  9 August 2011 (Canada), US date unknown.





FANTASY

Blackveil by Kristen Britain.    The fourth novel in Britain's Green Rider Series.   I'm very much looking forward to finding out what happens next. 

Release Date: 1 February 2011









Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss.  This is the follow-up to Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind, a novel which I have put off reading until the announcement of the release of book 2.   Now that Wise Man's Fear is only a few short months away from being released, I can start book 1!

Release Date: 1 March 2011






Those are my most anticipated releases for 2011, what are yours?