Saturday, January 15, 2011

Book Review: The Wolves of Andover by Kathleen Kent

 Synopsis (from amazon.com)

In the harsh wilderness of colonial Massachusetts, Martha Allen works as a servant in her cousin's household, taking charge and locking wills with everyone. Thomas Carrier labors for the family and is known both for his immense strength and size and mysterious past. The two begin a courtship that suits their independent natures, with Thomas slowly revealing the story of his part in the English Civil War. But in the rugged new world they inhabit, danger is ever present, whether it be from the assassins sent from London to kill the executioner of Charles I or the wolves-in many forms-who hunt for blood. A love story and a tale of courage, The Wolves of Andover confirms Kathleen Kent's ability to craft powerful stories of family from colonial history. 


*****************************

Avid Reader's Review

2.5 Stars

The Wolves of Andover is a prequel to Kent's debut novel, The Heretic's Daughter, telling the story of how Martha Allen came to meet, and fall in love with, Thomas Carrier.    Unfortunately, I couldn't shake the feeling as I was reading the novel that I would have enjoyed it more if I had already been familiar with the characters.    In other words,  despite the novel being a prequel, I feel I should have read The Heretic's Daughter first.   In fact, at times I felt as if the author assumed readers had read Heretic's Daughter, and nowhere did I think this more evident than in the novel's epilogue.   

I admit that the subject matter and period in history covered by this novel is not normally of interest to me.   Ultimately, however, I was never able to connect with any of the characters in the way necessary to draw me into the story; leaving me indifferent to their fates.    While this book didn't appeal to me, I think readers with an interest in colonial American history or those who read and enjoyed The Heretic's Daughter would find it a worthwhile read.