Monday, January 12, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (January 12, 2015)


In an effort to post more regularly on this blog, and hopefully generate more discussion in the process, I've decided that it's high time I took part (on a more consistent basis) in some of the more popular bookish meme posts. While certain of these memes have appeared on this blog from time to time (e.g., Top Ten Tuesday, Waiting on Wednesday), I'm a total newbie to It's Monday! What Are You Reading, which is hosted over at Book Journey. Since I always have at least one book on the go, this should be an easy meme to keep up with.

Currently Reading:

I'm starting my week out with the second book in French novelist Maurice Druon's Accursed Kings series, The Strangled Queen. The series is set in 13th and 14th century France, and follows the fates of the Capet and early Valois monarchs. The series has been heralded as the "original Game of Thrones" by none other than George R.R. Martin. I read the first book--The Iron King--last year and loved it (click here for my review), and so far this second book is every bit as good.  Based on what I've read of the series so far, I'd say it's a must read for historical fiction fans. 

A little Science Fiction, anyone? In addition to The Strangled Queen, I'm also currently working my way through James S.A. Corey's Caliban's War, the second book in The Expanse series.  I'm generally not a big fan of Science Fiction, but this series is an engaging one and has me encouraged to try other Space Opera novels.  The Expanse will also be coming to a TV near you sometime later this year and I, for one, can't wait to watch it.

Last, but certainly not least, I'm re-reading one of my all-time favourite books, Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables, as part of the Green Gables Readalong hosted by Lindsay at Reeder Reads. Not only is the book and series a favourite of mine, but Anne Shirley is one of my all-time favourite literary characters. Every time I read the book I picture myself walking the fields, meadows, forests, and beaches of beautiful Prince Edward Island.

Looking ahead, I'm not sure what I'll pick up once I'm through with this week's books. I'll just have to see where my reading mood takes me.

What about you? What are you reading this week?


post signature