Thursday, June 20, 2013

Book Chat: Seasonal Reading

It's time for Book Talk, a weekly feature here at Confessions of an Avid Reader designed to generate discussion on random book-related issues and topics.   This week's topic is: Seasonal Reading.

With the summer finally upon us (or winter if you live in the southern hemisphere) I've been giving some thought to my reading plans for the next couple of months.  While I have a few review books to catch up on in the weeks ahead, I have decided not to accept or request any more review books until the fall in order to focus my reading attention on my own TBR pile.  But what do I read?  Do I tackle some of the historical fiction novels sitting on my shelves, or do I move away from this genre all together and read a few of the many fantasy novels found in my bookcases?  Do I read shorter books with lighter themes since it's the summer, or do I try to get through one or more of the epic tomes that I have waiting to be read?  

This last question is what has prompted this week's topic, and leads me to my question for the week:  Do the seasons influence your reading habits?  Do you read darker, heavier novels in the winter?  Are you more likely to pick up fluffier reads in the summer?   My initial response to this question was that my reading habits aren't influenced by the seasons, but the more I thought about it I realized that I do tend to stay away from overly long books during the summer, and that I think novels dealing with heavier subject matters are best read in the fall or winters months.   For this reason I suspect my summer reading plans will involve a lot of fantasy novels and/or some lighter fare. 

What do you think?  Do you have seasonal reading habits? 

post signature